Casting Directors' Guild Awards 2020
Casting Directors behind Sex Education, Chernobyl, Wild Rose, Small Island, Come from Away and John Lewis Christmas Ad honoured at the 2nd CDG Casting Awards
The UK’s top Casting Directors were honoured tonight, Tuesday 11th February 2020, at the second annual CDG Casting Awards, at the Ham Yard Hotel. Presented in partnership with Spotlight, the awards recognise significant achievements in casting across Theatre, TV, Film and Commercials.
The winners of the 2nd CDG Casting Awards are:
- Isabella Odoffin wins Best Casting in a Theatre production for Small Island
- Pippa Ailion and Natalie Gallacher; Casting Assistant Katherine Skene win Best Casting in Musical Theatre for Come from Away (The Abbey Dublin and The Phoenix Theatre)
- Nina Gold and Robert Sterne win Best Casting in a TV Drama for Chernobyl
- Lauren Evans wins Best Casting in a TV Comedy for Sex Education (Series 1)
- Kahleen Crawford wins Best Casting in a Film for Wild Rose
- Claire Catterson, Kharmel Cochrane, Sasha Robertson and Jessica Ronane win Best Casting in a Commercial for John Lewis 2018 Christmas ‘The Boy and the Piano’
After an excellent year of Awards for Casting Directors, we are so pleased to have hosted the 2nd Annual CDG Casting Awards, and are delighted by the growing recognition of our craft beyond our own walls. Congratulations to all the winners and nominees this year, and also to the first recipient of the BAFTA for Best Casting in a Film. We look forward to seeing the results of the first TV Casting BAFTA on 17 May 2020.
Celebrated actors from stage and screen joined the event to honour the art of casting and present the awards. Hosted by Sanjeev Bhaskar, awards were presented by Naomi Ackie, Sheila Atim, Pippa Bennett-Warner, Jonah Hauer King, Rose Leslie, Daniel Mays, Daniel Monks, David Morrissey, Tracy-Ann Oberman, Rebecca Root, Anne Reid and Susan Wokoma.
Across film, TV, theatre and commercials, it starts with an idea and a script but the next vital step is the casting, so I’m delighted to be part of the second CDG awards and honouring those that are such an essential part of the creative process.
Presented in partnership with Spotlight, the headline sponsor for the CDG Casting Awards is Identity Agency Group.
The full list of nominees and winners is:
Best Casting in a Theatre production sponsored by Independent Talent Group
WINNER: Isabella Odoffin for Small Island (National Theatre)
- Amy Ball for Sweat (Donmar Warehouse)
- Stuart Burt and Julia Horan for Pinter at the Pinter Season (Harold Pinter Theatre)
- Robert Sterne for A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Bridge Theatre)
- Charlotte Sutton for Death of a Salesman (Young Vic)
Best Casting in Musical Theatre sponsored by LW Theatres
WINNER: Pippa Ailion and Natalie Gallacher; Casting Assistant Katherine Skene for Come from Away (The Abbey Dublin and The Phoenix Theatre)
- Will Burton for Evita – UK Casting (Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre)
- Alastair Coomer and Charlotte Sutton for Company (Gielgud Theatre)
- Stephen Crockett and David Grindrod for Waitress (Adelphi Theatre)
- David Grindrod for Sweet Charity (Donmar Warehouse)
- Sam Jones for Wise Children (The Old Vic)
Best Casting in a TV Drama sponsored by United Agents
WINNER: Nina Gold and Robert Sterne for Chernobyl (Sky Atlantic in association with HBO)
- Suzanne Crowley and Gilly Poole for Killing Eve Series 2 (BBC1)
- Sam Jones for Black Earth Rising (BBC2 and Netflix)
- Kate Rhodes James and Daniel Edwards; Casting Associate Gordon Cowell for Line of Duty 5 (BBC1)
- Kate Rhodes James for The Long Song (BBC1)
- Andy Pryor; Casting Associate Ri McDaid-Wren for Years and Years (BBC1)
Best Casting in a TV Comedy sponsored by Hamilton Hodell
WINNER: Lauren Evans for Sex Education Series 1 (Netflix)
- Nicky Bligh for Stath Lets Flats (Channel 4)
- Tracey Gillham for After Life Series 1 (Netflix)
- Tracey Gilham for Catastrophe Series 4 (Channel 4)
- Kelly Valentine Hendry; Casting Associate Alex Irwin for Ghosts (BBC1)
- Fiona Weir and Alice Searby; Casting Associate Sarah Wilson for Brassic (Sky One)
Best Casting in a Film sponsored by EON Productions
WINNER: Kahleen Crawford for Wild Rose
- Kahleen Crawford for Only You
- Jina Jay; Casting Associate Olivia Brittain for Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
- Reg Poerscout-Edgerton for Rocketman
- Andy Pryor; Casting Associate Ri McDaid-Wren for Stan & Ollie
Best Casting in a Commercial
WINNER: Claire Catterson, Kharmel Cochrane, Sasha Robertson, Jessica Ronane for John Lewis 2018 Christmas ‘The Boy and the Piano’
- Martin Gibbons for McCain ‘Differences’
- Martin Gibbons for British Heart Foundation ‘Boy’
- Sasha Robertson for Amazon Echo ‘Bedtime Story’
- Emma Stafford for BBC ‘Wonderland’
The CDG Casting Awards are presented in partnership with Spotlight. The headline sponsor is Identity Agency Group. The Awards are sponsored by LW Theatres, EON Productions, United Agents, Independent Talent Group, Hamilton Hodell and Troika Talent, with support from Joe and Steph’s Popcorn, Organise-Us, Branded Talent and RikRak.
For press enquiries please contact:
Francesca Maguire, [email protected] / 07747 605971
The Casting Directors’ Guild is a professional organisation of Casting Directors in the film, television, theatre and commercials communities in the UK and Ireland who have joined together to further their common interests in establishing a recognised standard of professionalism in the industry, enhancing the stature of the profession, providing a free exchange of information and ideas, honouring the achievements of members and standardisation of working practices in the industry. The CDG upholds the highest ethical standards and advocates for the fair treatment of performers in the casting process.