Spotlight's Best Advice: 2019 in Review
Enjoy a recap of Spotlight's acting industry advice from the past year.
With the festive season in full swing and 2020 beckoning us ever closer, we're taking some much-needed time out to reflect on all the great content we've published on Spotlight this year.
We aim to bring you the best advice from industry experts to help answer questions you have and guide you through any issues you may be facing. From the articles, videos and podcasts you've been engaging with, we have created three curated lists for you to take a look at to see what you may have missed.
So grab a cuppa, sit back and take a look at some of 2019's most popular posts.
10 articles to read
As ever, we've created a variety of articles to help as you navigate challenges you may be facing in the industry. From dealing with professional relationships, auditioning tips, acting with dyslexia through to handling stress, we've addressed a number of issues and, in no particular order, here are some of your favourite pieces:
- Maintaining a good relationship with your agent
- Audition Dos and Don'ts
- How to Part With a Part or De-role
- 6 Ways to Combat Audition Nerves
- How to Deal With Career Envy
- How to Embrace the Self-tape
- How to Handle Stress on a Film Set
- Advice for Graduates from a Performer, Agent and a Casting Director
- Acting With Dyslexia
- 10 Tips for Foreign Actors in London.
5 videos to watch
From How To's, interviews with industry professionals and even some famous faces talking about their careers, it's been a busy year for the video team here at Spotlight and we have lots more in the works! Without further ado, here are 2019's most viewed videos:
- Everything You Need to Know About Headshots
- How to Pick a Photo for Your Spotlight Profile
- Casting Director Emma Ashton on the Commercial Casting Process
- Producer Greg Brenman's Advice for Actors
- How to Get a Good Headshot
- Richard E Grant, Russell Tovey and John Simm share their experiences of being actors.
5 podcasts to listen to
This year the Spotlight podcast received its fifty-thousandth download! Thanks to everyone for listening and we look forward to making more episodes for your aural pleasure in 2020. In the meantime, here are five episodes that you've been enjoying:
- Commercial Casting Auditions with Alex Wheeler (29 minute listen)
- How to Revamp Your Acting Career (20 minute listen)
- Voice and Accent Work With Nina Zendejas (51 minute listen)
- How to Start Writing Your Own Work with Kerry Ryan (38 minute listen)
- Cultivating your Creative Passion with Esta Charkham (43 minute listen).
5 things for young performers and their parents
Our picks of guidance and information for young performers and their parents, including two of our most popular podcasts.
- Casting Director Sonia Allam's Audition Tips
- Making the Most of Your Young Performer Membership
- How Young Performers Get Theatre Work Podcast (35 minute listen)
- How to Manage Days on Set as a Young Performer
- Should You Have Multiple Agents as a Young Performer? Podcast (19 minute listen)
From everyone here at Spotlight, we wish you happy holidays and all the very best for 2020!