What criteria do I need to meet to join Spotlight?
Spotlight is for professional performers, so to become a member you’ll need:
- At least one featured role with an Equity or equivalent union contract or two contracted professional performance credits
- Or have completed at least a year of full-time professional performance training equivalent to an RQF level 5 or two years of part-time training
- Or have been recommended by a party that’s a member of one of the following professional organisations, Personal Managers’ Association, Casting Directors’ Guild, Casting Society of America, Casting Directors Association, Co-Operative Personal Managers Association, the International Casting Directors’ Network, Association of Talent Agents, or the Agents of Young Performers Association
You’ll be asked to provide evidence of your training and/or experience as part of your application. If you’re struggling, here are some great tips to help you on your way.
What can I do if I don’t qualify for Spotlight yet?
The best thing to do is to try and get some experience in the industry. There are various ways to do this. Contacts is a great place to start. You can look into full or part-time training courses. Or try getting some experience in and around Fringe theatres and building as many networks with other actors and directors as possible. We provide regular advice online with all sorts of information that can assist.
You can also take a look at our partners page, as there are a lot of organisations that we work with that provide training or performance opportunities. These are a great way to gain experience and hone your acting skills!
Like any industry you are new to, you must be prepared to give up a lot of your free time, often without pay or immediate reward. This industry is as much about tenacity and determination as it is talent, so learn as much about the business as you possibly can. Read plays, see films, and know the people behind the production. Be proactive and stay curious!
Do I need an agent to join Spotlight?
Not if you’re an adult performer. You will be known as ‘Self-representing’ on Spotlight. This means that you’re able to submit yourself for roles that are sent out by casting directors and, when you’re asked to come for an audition, the invitation will come via an email directly from the Casting Director or an email from Spotlight Enquiries email address and will be passed on to you.
I have just joined Spotlight what information will I receive?
Once you have made a successful application to Spotlight, you will receive a welcome email with sign-in instructions. If you do not receive your welcome email in your inbox, please check your spam.
How do I sign in?
To sign in:
- click the ‘Sign in’ button in the top right-hand corner
- Next, click ‘Performer’
- Sign in with your username and password.
If you have any problems signing in, you’ll find support here.
How do I access my Spotlight View PIN?
To find your Spotlight View PIN, you’ll need to sign into your account, where you’ll see ‘Link to my CV’ in the left-hand column – this will lead you to a page with a green URL in the centre of the screen. This is the link to your profile, which also contains your View PIN.
When will my first payment be taken?
Payment will be taken shortly after your profile goes live on the site.
How do I ensure my profile is set up correctly?
Get your Spotlight profile ready for any submissions you or your agent will make. Make sure you have completed as many sections as possible and update your profile as often as possible. Set yourself a calendar reminder to check it regularly.
The more information you have on your Spotlight profile the more likely it is that you will be approached for the right roles. Please ensure that you keep us up to date with any changes to your agent, contact details and payment information. Here are some top tips and advice about how to create the perfect Spotlight profile.
Will my Spotlight profile be searchable by Google etc?
No, Spotlight profiles have never been publicly searchable. You or your agent acting on your behalf can choose to make a Spotlight profile publicly available by sharing your Spotlight link with the professional.
I don’t have an agent – how will hirers get in touch with me?
If you do not have an agent you will be known as ‘Self-Representing on Spotlight. If an agent interested in contacting you, they will send their enquiry to Spotlight and this will be forwarded to you by email.
If you are Self-Representing, it is essential that you keep us up to date with any changes to your contact information. You can do this by emailing our updates team.
What I can expect from my first month on Spotlight?
- You will receive access to the Jobs Feed board. If you are self-represented you should ensure that you check the Jobs Feed board on a regular basis for any suitable roles. Go to the ‘My Tools and Settings’ area in your account to ensure that you choose how you want to be notified of suitable roles and what filters you want to apply so roles are as targeted as possible to your preferences. Please bear in mind that you will only be able to view projects listed from the date that you joined Spotlight. In such a competitive industry it can take some time to be approached about roles or be invited in for an audition so please do not be disheartened if this does not happen immediately.
- If you are represented by an agent they will be able to start putting you forward for breakdowns they receive.
- You can access Spotlight Discounts, which are now available online for most of our members and can be accessed via your Spotlight account. Just sign in then click on the ‘Discounts’ logo. You will then be taken to a variety of discount options ranging from lifestyle, motoring and shopping to travel, insurance and special offers. Please note that the Spotlight card no longer offers you discounts in-store and that you will need to use the online site to sign up for discounts. You’ll also have access to life insurance, a pension scheme, tax and legal helplines, and cover for jury service, all as an added, affordable benefits package.
- You will have offers available through Contacts – an online directory of all things related to the industry. Many individuals and services on Contacts offer member-specific discounts.
- We have a wealth of great information for you to help you on your way to a brilliant career in the arts, on a huge variety of topics. See all our great advice on Starting Out, Making Work, Drama School, Auditions, Mental Health, Showreels, Casting Directors, and much more.
- You’ll have access to our great programme of Events throughout the year, including our very popular Open House – free to Spotlight members!
If you need any special help in your early weeks and months just get in touch with our friendly team.
How do I apply for jobs?
If you have an agent you will need to agree on how you will be submitted for roles. Your agent has control over the level of access you have to the link board. You will automatically receive read-only access, so please contact your agent directly about changing this.
If you are Self-Representing’ on Spotlight you will have access to the Jobs Feed board and will need to apply for roles you feel you are suitable for. You can do this by clicking on the breakdown and clicking on ‘submit profile’ you can include a covering note in the text box with any information you feel is important to your application. Keep this concise and relevant.
If you would like to check the roles you have submitted yourself for you can do this by going to your link board and selecting ‘roles with suggestions’ from the dropdown box, here you will see a full list of roles you have submitted yourself for.
Spotlight-registered casting directors will be able to contact you directly from a button displayed on your profile, this will send a message from the casting director directly to your email, so you can communicate with them further via email.
For non-registered Spotlight enquirers: If a self-represented performer shares their profile publicly, there will be no change to how non-registered enquiries see your profile. Spotlight’s Enquiries team will still show as the contact on your profile so that we would continue to vet and send on those queries manually for you in those instances.